Working for Thomas Cook’s Complaints Department must be an interesting job. Sometimes. The News 24 website recently published a list of complaints received by the department and they certainly make for interesting reading.
They also give an insight into what sort of qualities you must have to work at the Department. We think these would include having a huge amount of patience. A thick skin would probably help you to get through the day, as would having a highly developed sense of humour.
Oh, and the ability to write polite and entirely sensible replies, all the while resisting the urge to say what you really think.
We’ve included the top ten here, but you can visit the News 24 website to read more by clicking here
- “On my holiday to Goa in India, I was disgusted to find that almost every restaurant served curry. I don’t like spicy food.”
- “They should not allow topless sunbathing on the beach. It was very distracting for my husband who just wanted to relax.”
- “We went on holiday to Spain and had a problem with the taxi drivers as they were all Spanish.”
- “We booked an excursion to a water park but no-one told us we had to bring our own swimsuits and towels. We assumed it would be included in the price.”
- “The beach was too sandy. We had to clean everything when we returned to our room.”
- “We found the sand was not like the sand in the brochure. Your brochure shows the sand as white but it was more yellow.”
- “It’s lazy of the local shopkeepers in Puerto Vallartato close in the afternoons. I often needed to buy things during ‘siesta’ time — this should be banned.”
- “No-one told us there would be fish in the water. The children were scared.”
- “Although the brochure said that there was a fully equipped kitchen, there was no egg-slicer in the drawers.”
- “I think it should be explained in the brochure that the local convenience store does not sell proper biscuits like custard creams or ginger nuts.”
As a service company, our customer service team does receive the occasional email which make us smile. Here’s one example.
Explorer: Have you ever had any heart problems?
Explorer: What medical conditions do you need to declare?
Customer: I had a heart attack 3 years ago
We can’t compare with Thomas Cook, though, whose staff we salute!